FORGEC: Strengthening Managerial Capabilities in Cuban entities
About the Project
FORGEC – Strengthening Managerial Capabilities in Cuban entities aims to improve the efficiency of the Cuban companies by providing excellent training in the management techniques currently used in Europe. This 42-month project has been made possible by a grant from the European Commission, through the 2009 Annual Action Programme for Non-State Actors and Local Authorities in Development.
The project will be implemented under the leadership of EFMD and in cooperation with ESADE business school as a consortium partner and with the Cuban Ministry of Higher Education. It will be supervised by the European Union Delegation in Cuba.
This project builds on the success of the EU-funded D(E)ADE (Diplomado Europeo en Administración y Dirección de Empresas) programmes that were conducted by a consortium led by ESADE from 1996 to 2005. Managers and directors of Cuban companies recognised in D(E)ADE a unique opportunity to access knowledge which has been successfully used by European companies. In return, the programme made it possible to strengthen ties with economically influential institutions and businesses in Europe.
- Provide a rapid response to the immediate needs of the Cuban economy for trained managers, through:
- Strengthening the network of D(E)ADE alumni and providing them with actualisation of their knowledge, including the latest developments and techniques used in Europe
- Training teachers and trainers to ensure that they will design and deliver up-to-date training to the Cuban managers and the local actors of economic and social development
- Focusing on the local actors whose contribution to the economic and social development has been increasing and is now officially recognised and promoted by the Cuban government.
- Establish long-term cooperation in the field of management education between Cuba and Europe and support a permanent structure, which promotes quality in higher education, through:
- Strengthening the administration of selected universities, whose administrators and teaching staff will benefit from training in Cuba and study tours in Europe
- The establishment of a network of Euro-Cuban methodological cabinets (gabinetes) with six Higher Education Institutions
- The design and putting into place of quality assurance systems in six pilot Cuban universities and the provision of expertise and mentoring during the implementation
- The organisation of a higher education conference in Havana to present the results of the quality assurance systems and their implementation in the pilot institutions, exchange best practice and compare experience.
- Cuban managers and teachers who participated in the D(E)ADE programmes (1996-2005)
- Cuban local actors in charge of the economic and social development
- University administrators from the Cuban higher education sector
- Deans, vice-deans and senior representative of the Ministry of Higher Education
- Cuban professors of management
- Cuban universities
- Escuelas Ramales, specific capacity-building institutions localised in university campuses or in government ministries
- Other Cuban academic institutions
- Cuban/mixed enterprises, cooperatives, etc.
- Pedagogical design, co-ordination, administration and follow-up of the activities
- Consolidation of the D(E)ADE network (alumni, companies and academic institutions)
- Continuation and intensification of training management teachers who are responsible for training executives and extending the training to local economic agents and managers of universities and Escuelas Ramales. Design, delivery and evaluation of eight to ten editions of Programa Eurocubano de Enseñanzas de Gestión (PEEG), a training programme designed by the Project academic team from both European and Cuban side, based on D(E)ADE and taking into account the current situation and needs in Cuba.
- Providing capacity and institutional building support for training institutions (universities and Escuelas Ramales) through:
- Setting-up of six EU-Cuban methodological cabinets (gabinetes), located in the six main partner universities and coordinated by a central office under the responsibility of the Cuban Ministry of Higher Education
- Organisation of training programmes and study tours in Europe for managers from the ministry, and professors and managers from universities and Escuelas Ramales
- Design and putting into place of quality assurance systems in six Cuban universities and provision of expertise and mentoring during their implementation.