Broader Higher Education
In April 2013, the activities of ESMU, the European Centre for the Strategic Management of Universities were integrated into EFMD. ESMU worked closely with EU institutions on EU policies and programme development in education.
In more than 20 years ESMU built strong European-wide networks of senior university decision-makers and of high-level experts to address the most cutting-edge issues on leadership, governance and management:
- HUMANE, the Heads of University Management and Administration Network in Europe has grown into a powerful professional association of more than 200 members in 23 countries (university directors of administration)
- Many collaborative university benchmarking exercises were initiated
- A whole range of senior leadership programmes for university leaders and managers were delivered. The most successful is the annual EFMD (ESMU) – HUMANE European Winter School for senior university managers launched in 2003
- ESMU provided technical assistance to the European Commission for the management of its major education and training programmes from 1987 to 2005 (COMETT, SOCRATES and LEONARDO programmes).
- ESMU was involved in numerous projects focusing on EU policy and programmes, working closely with the European Commission, UNESCO and the OECD.