Doctorate or PhD
Doctorate or PhD
Professor of Law - University of Portsmouth School of Law
About this job
The University of Portsmouth’s School of Law is ambitious and fast-growing with a track record of sustained excellence in teaching and learning. This is evidenced by the consistently high scores in the National Student Survey, the excellent employability record of our graduates and our league table position. We are now seeking to expand and enhance our research culture and have created two posts to drive this ambition forward.
We are seeking a Professor of Law who has an appetite for research leadership. You will be highly regarded in your discipline and, with a proven research profile, be able to provide strong leadership to enrich the School’s research including support for our early career researchers.
To provide vision and strategic leadership in research across the school; to strengthen the research environment of the school and pro-actively contribute to its improvement; to actively support and mentor academic staff; to undertake internationally outstanding research and scholarly activities commensurate with Professional standing; and to contribute to excellence in teaching at all levels and provide academic leadership in teaching and curriculum development.
1. To lead and maintain internationally competitive research by developing own research programme at the cutting edge of the subject area.
2. To play a leading role in identifying and securing external funding through research grants; and in developing collaborative research and other income generating activities.
3. To publish research outcomes in high impact international journals commensurate with Professorial standing and to disseminate the results through conferences and workshops and to contribute to the external visibility of the School and the University.
4. To collaborate with both academic partners and user groups to deliver research impact.
5. To contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of the School and Faculty.
6. To provide subject specific and research related expert advice and guidance to strengthen the research environment in the School and Faculty.
7. To mentor and support academic staff and students in their research endeavours.
8. To attract and supervise research students and post-doctoral researchers and other research support staff.
9. To contribute to the curriculum/course development.
10. To deliver inspirational teaching and adopt research-informed teaching.
11. To design and be responsible for the contents of specific areas of teaching and learning at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
12. To undertake academic duties to deliver high quality teaching, student learning support and assessment duties
13. To support and comply with the university teaching quality assurance standards and procedures.
14. To make an important contribution to the leadership and management of the School, including supporting early career staff and developing new collaborative initiatives.
15. To undertake such specific management roles/committee work as may be reasonably required.
16. To participate in relevant professional/advisory activities.
17. To engage in continuous professional development.
18. To undertake external commitments, which reflect and enhance the reputation of the School and University.
19. To comply with the University’s Health and Safety Policy.
20. To undertake any other duties as required by the Dean and Head of Subject Group.
1. Dean of Faculty
2. Head of Subject Group
3. Associate Dean (Research) and other members of the Faculty Executive
4. Other researchers in the Faculty, and external research collaborators
5. Other research and academic colleagues and support/technical staff on day-to-day issues.
No Attributes Rating Source
Rating of attribute: E = essential; D = desirable
Source of evidence: AF = Application Form; S = Selection Programme (including Test, Presentation, References)
1. Specific Knowledge & Experience
A track record of high quality publications E AF,S
A track record of attracting – or evidence of ability to attract – external funding in support of internationally leading research or applications of research. E AF,S
Experience in collaborative research, involving academics and/ or users. E AF,S
2. Skills & Abilities
Proven experience to provide vision, leadership and support in the development of research. E AF,S
Ability to support the professional development of staff in a research field. E AF,S
Ability to predict and solve problems when they occur. E AF
Ability to offer support in planning, organising and the prioritisation of workloads. E AF
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. E AF,S
Ability to produce original ideas. E AF,S
Ability to forge interdisciplinary and international collaborations. E AF,S
Ability to effectively manage relations with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the university. E AF,S
Ability to concisely present findings verbally and in writing. E AF,S
Project management skills. D AF
3. Qualifications, Education & Training
Doctoral qualification or equivalent research experience. E AF
4. Other Requirements
Ability to motivate and engage others in research. E AF,S
Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team. E AF,S
Ability to work to tight deadlines. E AF,S
Contact: email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org