Business leaders, entrepreneurs, government leaders and academics gathered in Halifax today to celebrate Saint Mary’s University Sobey School of Business and its significant impact on the local economy, as it unveiled the results from the Business School Impact System (BSIS) report. The Sobey School of Business is the first school in North America to take part in BSIS, a process that was developed by EFMD Global Network and FNEGE. The BSIS is designed to assess regional economic, intellectual, cultural and social impact using both quantitative and qualitative indicators.
The purpose of the study was to display its economic impact to the maritime region through its scholarship and its graduates living, working and starting businesses in the Atlantic Provinces. Some of the standout annual impacts include:
- 329 million dollars contributed annually to the Nova Scotia economy;
- 250 international students take their first job in this region;
- 45% of our 800 graduates stay in the region to work;
- Regular relevant research related directly to Atlantic Canada on topics such as innovation, leadership, ethics, sustainable fisheries, boosting our wine industry, immigrants in the labour force, women in government and more;
- Students in Enactus launched 34 businesses, created 156 jobs and saved taxpayers one million dollars.
To download the full Executive Summary of the Creating Impact with Purpose report, please go here.
About the Business School Impact System
The Business School Impact System (BSIS) scheme is designed to determine the extent of a school’s impact upon its local environment – the city or region in which it is located. The scheme was initially designed by FNEGE (the French National Foundation for Management Education) and is already well established in the French higher education arena.
The BSIS process has been adapted for an international audience and is now offered in a joint venture between EFMD Global Network and FNEGE as a service to EFMD members in any part of the world.
To learn more about BSIS, please visit the BSIS website here.